Ian is a highly experienced litigator who has predominantly represented the Crown for over two decades. His experience covers a wide spectrum of litigation through the entire hierarchy of Courts and tribunals. He has also provided legal opinions on a wide range of topics.
Ian delivers pragmatic and cost-effective solutions for his clients. He can be instructed through an instructing solicitor and can also be instructed to provide legal opinions.
Ian is also an accomplished public speaker having presented papers at a wide range of seminars.
Ian joined Harbour Chambers as a Barrister sole in 2018.
Qualifications and achievements
- BA, University of Otago: 1993
- LL.B.(Hons), University of Otago: 1993
- Admitted as a barrister and solicitor: 1994
- Luke Cunningham Clere, Solicitor: 1997-2004
- Gresson Dorman and Co, Associate: 2004-2007
- Luke Cunningham Clere, Senior Associate and Principal: 2007-2015
- Crown Law Office, Crown Counsel: 2015:2018
- Barrister Sole: 2018-
Principal Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Professional regulation and disciplinary
- Regulatory offending especially Health and Safety
- Public and Administrative Law
- Advisory work
Address: Level 1,
5 Cable St, Wellington
PO Box 10-242,
The Terrace, Wellington
Phone No: +64 4 499 2684
DDI: +64 4 494 8149
Mobile: +64 21 283 2201
Email Ian Murray
PA: Caroline Cheetham